Monday, April 28, 2014

Sub Saharan Africa / The Vehicle Hunt Continues

Part 1 of the two-week Sub Saharan African course has been incredible and intimidating. The 31 page syllabus was the first clue that our class coordinator meant business. The 25 biographies within only covered 6 pages all dedicated to the in-class presenters who consisted of a variety of PhDs, economists, attorneys, advisors, and other experts on all things Africa. The additional pages included suggested reading assignments, articles, books, maps, policy, supplemental resources as well as the daily schedule broken down by presenters, objectives, and breaks.

In addition to the constant stream of knowledge in the classroom, four field trips further expanded our experience and understanding of the materials discussed in class.

  • Capitol Hill -- heard from staffers on the Foreign Affairs Committee who regularly deal with policy on Africa followed by Q&A
  • National Museum of African Art -- docent-led tour of two different African art exhibits
  • Meaza Ethopian Restaurant -- ate in traditional Ethiopian style from a shared platter using injera (spongy flatbread) to sample the multiple entrees
  • Mosque Visit -- experienced a Muslim prayer service and then participated in Q&A with the Interfaith and Outreach Director

Thus far, this has been the most well organized and impactful course that I have taken at FSI. It is an eye opener that has emphasized the fact that I know very little about the world in which I live, and it is simultaneously a motivator to take the initiative to seek out information and educate myself.


As mentioned in my last post, the countdown clock is on. As of Saturday, two of my classmates have officially left for post.

I am now in possession of my diplomatic passport complete with Visa for the DRC, and I have my yellow card with my immunization records especially yellow fever since you can't enter the country without it. Two more check marks on the To Do list.

No luck with car shopping yet. I've been scouring the online inventories for the local dealerships, and I am in touch with a couple different salesman who are keeping an eye out for my wish list vehicles (4Runner or Tacoma). I received a call this weekend about a Tacoma, but unfortunately, it was a 2002 which is too old to be taken to the DRC.

I am renting a car for the week starting tomorrow, and I'm hoping that I can be more productive with all kinds of shopping once I've regained my independence and freedom in the form of an automobile! It will certainly make swinging by some dealerships more convenient. 

I wouldn't be painting an accurate picture if all I talked about was work and errands and no play. Saturday was a beautiful, sunny day, and I metroed over to Rosslyn, and then walked across the Key Bridge to Georgetown to meet my friend Whitney and her dog, Frannie. We rented kayaks and went out on the Potomac which was a relaxing and splendid way to start my Saturday. Unfortunately, I wasn't willing to risk taking my cell phone in the kayak with me, and that is why I can offer no photos. Sorry!

Tomorrow starts Week 2 of Sub Saharan Africa and a vehicle-enabled shopping spree. I can envision my bank account total plummeting as I type!

Enjoy the end of your weekend, and have a good week.





2 comments:

  1. So proud of you! Good luck on your amazing journey/adventure!!! But, you know I gotta ask, is the file cabinet taking the trip too??? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won Janssen. Go ahead and say it! The file cabinet will remain in storage....sigh.

      Delete