Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Security Overseas and Consumables Shopping

Last week was a good start to another year although the course topics at the top of the week were a bit daunting. I remember looking up at one of my fellow classmates and saying, "Isn't it surreal that we're furiously taking notes on what to do if we're taken hostage?" 

Some of the additional subject matter included terrorism, weapons of mass destruction, evacuations, and managing a crisis. While I am thankful to be receiving this educational and eye-opening information, it's a little difficult to process it all. I imagine it will all be put into perspective once I get to Post.

While most of my courses take place at the Foreign Service Institute (FSI), I had a couple of days at Main State (the main Department of State building in DC). It's all official all the time over there. If I ever have a moment of doubt that I'm really working for DOS, it takes but a moment to walk through the security clad entrance into the sea of my suit-wearing and badge-bearing brethren to remember - this is reality...and it's pretty awesome!

Main State sits right next to the George Washington University campus, which wouldn't normally mean anything to me except for the fact that the wonderful Julia B. goes to school there. For those of you who have not had the privilege of meeting her, Julia is a ray of sunshine and was a beloved intern on See Dad Run, my last television series in Los Angeles.


Another light in my life here in DC/VA is my friend Nicole. We've known each other since 2000 when we were both assistants at ABC Television. She is a constant friend and much like a guardian angel, always checking in to make sure that I have what I need, always ready to swoop in should I need rescuing.  

The Cherry Blossoms -- yes, they officially bloomed, and everyone and their mother was out to see them last week including me. I actually went twice, once with Nicole, and the second time with several of my OMS classmates. The blossoms were worth two visits. They are so beautiful; the tidal basin looks majestic surrounded by the ethereal pink and white flowers.


On Sunday afternoon, I took the bus to the Target that is just a few miles down the way, and I completed shopping trip #2 dedicated to consumables. When you're assigned to a hardship post where every day amenities are no longer readily available or at least not readily available at a cost that isn't triple or quadruple the price to which you're accustomed, you buy your consumables at home and ship them overseas.

Two carts filled to the brim...soap, razors, deodorant, toilet paper, canned corn, canned beans, Skippy creamy peanut butter, cleaning products, etc.

I called a taxi to take my treasure and me back to the apartment where I managed to stash most of it in my pantry.

As it gets closer to my June departure date, I will have to stock up on more food to ship to Kinshasa, but due to the expiration dates, I want to buy as late as possible.











1 comment:

  1. This is a very interesting read. Thank you, Tara. I'll look forward to more, especially those from the field. Doris

    ReplyDelete