Monday, April 21, 2014

Outlook / Immunizations / Car Shopping

This week I conquered Outlook 2010 and am now officially certified. If you use Outlook and have questions, there is a reasonably good chance that I might be able to help.

Annie, the class coordinator, was an incredible teacher, and she's also French which was convenient for those of us who wanted to get a head start on our French language training.

Merci Annie!

Did everyone make the tax deadline on Tuesday? Thankfully, mine were done a few weeks ago. My big appointment on Tuesday was at MED. I received my ninth injection - rabies #3, the trifecta is complete! I have now been immunized for yellow fever, rabies, polio, tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis, Hep A/B (still need one more injection), and meningitis. 


I opted for the pills instead of the injection for typhoid, and it's the only one where I've really noticed the side effects. I've been feeling sapped of energy and had a queasy stomach. The last pill is scheduled for ingestion tomorrow night, thus, I should be feeling normal again by Wednesday.

The first of my classmates is heading to Post next week. How is that possible? Now it's impossible for me to ignore the countdown clock leading to my own departure.

How am I supposed to plan for the next two years? I don't know what I'm doing tomorrow. 

Do you know how much toilet paper you use a week or month? How do I estimate how much food I will need or what I will want to eat in the next two years? I'm just starting out with a little at first, and once I'm in Kinshasa I can get a better idea of what I will need.

Thankfully, I'm at a Post that has a DPO (diplomatic post office) so I can order from Amazon.com and a host of other vendors that will ship to DPOs.

My main priority right now is purchasing an SUV or pick-up truck so I can get it on a ship and headed overseas. It's going to take months to get to the DRC, so the sooner I can get that crossed off the list the better.

One of my classmates invited me to go car shopping this weekend. I test drove a Toyota 4-runner that I really liked, but the price was more than I was willing to pay. Toyotas and Nissans are highly recommended for the DRC because they are popular cars and the parts are more readily available in Kinshasa. Additionally, the mechanics are used to working on them.

I can't bring in a vehicle that is 10 years old or older, and if you've seen photos of the roads after it rains, you'll understand why I want a 4x4. Please keep in mind that I will mostly be on roads that are in Kinshasa that will NOT look like the photo below; however, I still consider pictures like this as evidence that I should be well prepared with 4WD.


I best wrap up as it is getting late, and I start Sub Saharan African studies tomorrow.

For those of you who celebrated, I wish you a Happy Easter, and for those who did not, I wish you a wonderful and peaceful day's end.

I leave you with a photo from this morning's Sunrise Easter Service that was held on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. 

Goodnight.

1 comment:

  1. Tara, you amaze me! As I sit here trying to be as productive as I can be before picking up kids from school and thinking about feeding them before soccer, church activities and Kumon, I am amazed by what you are preparing to do! Wow - what a journey! Just think - we're two SD girls, who became friends in college and what different directions life has taken us! I so enjoy watching your adventures and admire everything about you! Thank you for posting and keep posting! Nothing is too little or mundane as this midwest mommy can't even begin to wrap my head around all that you are doing! How exciting, interesting and a little scary! Thanks for the posts! Blessing to you, girlie!

    Kerri

    ReplyDelete