Wednesday, June 24, 2015

The Proof is in the Pictures

The following photos are from my getaway to Cape Town as well as a few at the end that represent some of my every day life.


CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA
My plan was to sleep for an entire day, to avoid crowds, and to relax and eat good food. Once I was re-energized, I would transition into tourist mode.

Tarragona Lodge was the perfect getaway: small, quiet, 30 minutes outside of the city, beautiful property, kind and friendly owners and staff.
Tarragona Lodge, Hout Bay (Cape Town), South Africa

Front Exterior View, Tarragona Lodge

Rear Exterior View, Tarragona Lodge
I wasn't able to sleep an entire day, but I did sleep in and then managed to find a Thai restaurant where the food tasted like the best Thai I'd ever eaten. Clearly, they had access to the freshest, best-tasting vegetables ever to be grown on the continent!

After my rental car was delivered to the Tarragona, I decided I best complete a test drive and refresh my right-side drive/left side of the road skills.

I was rusty, but I was able to navigate my way to the botanical gardens where I found nature, peace, beauty, and solitude in abundance. (Southen Californians: It's Huntington Gardens' more expansive South African cousin.)

Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens
Trail at Kirstenbosch

Birds of Kirstenbosch
The next day I completed a tour from Hout Bay down to Cape Point and back. The terrain and views often reminded me of Northern California.


Tour Route

The Penguins of Boulders Beach Near Simon's Town

The Boulder-Free Side of Boulder's Beach

Baboon on Pathway to Cape Point

View of Cape Point from Lighthouse

Cape Point Lighthouse

Military Lookout from WWII

Mountainside Leading to Lighthouse

Coastal Road between Noordhoek and Hout Bay

View Near Chapman's Peak
After seeing the beautiful landscape, seaside homes, beach city boutiques and restaurants, it was easy to forget that Cape Town is a city that in 2014 had a 23.4 percent unemployment rate.

A beloved friend in Los Angeles talked to her South African friend prior to my vacation and reminded me that South Africa is a third world country. I hadn't yet been there, but I'd heard so much positive feedback that it was hard for me to imagine, and I had to remind myself as I played tourist that there is another side and another lifestyle behind the privileged curtain of middle and upper class living.
                                                                                               

One of the highlights of the trip to Cape Town was reuniting with my dear friend Julia who was studying abroad at University of Cape Town. She gets credit for introducing me to the boutiques and good eats at the Old Biscuit Mill.

Reunited with Miss Julia!
Food Stall at The Old Biscuit Mill

Certainly the most thought-provoking and historically relevant experience in Cape Town was the Tour of Robben Island.


Victoria & Albert Waterfront while waiting to board the boat to Robben Island


The Robben Island Tour Begins Here

Nelson Mandela's Cell

View of Cape Town from Robben Island
View from a restaurant across from Green Market Square

On my final day in Cape Town, I questioned whether I wanted to ascend (via cable car) the highly revered Table Mountain. How many more amazing mountain and ocean views could there really be? 

Let the pictures speak for themselves.


View from Table Mountain -- Lion's Head (top left) Robben Island (top right)

Spectacular View from Table Mountain

One of Many Dassies on the Mountain

Endless Beautiful Mountain Views

Thank you Cape Town

Back in Kinshasa


Promotion Ceremony: So proud of Chief Master Sergeant Robbins



My First C17
Beautiful Sunrise Service Easter Morning

Currently in Kinshasa, it's the dry season, and the temperatures have dipped down to the 80s with the sun hidden away behind the clouds, and at night it sometimes gets into the high 60s. The drastically reduced humidity and the cooler temperatures are refreshing. I've even worn a sweatshirt a couple of times in the evenings.

With the dry season or "summer," as it may be known in other geographic locations, comes the transition of people PCSing (Permanent Change of Station) to their next post. Right now it feels a bit like a mass exodus, but the balancing effect of an influx will soon be felt as well.

The summer also brings with it bidding season, which means I'm researching 36 posts one of which will be my home for two years starting next summer. Exciting. Exhausting. Due in two days! There's not as much pressure knowing that the final decision is left in the hands of my CDO (Career Development Officer). She placed me in Kinshasa, and while not at the top or even middle of my bid list last year, I have met wonderful people, had my eyes opened to Central Africa, and am experiencing the world like never before. 

The adventure continues and in approximately two weeks, I should know from where the summer 2016 chapter begins.

Hugs to you all.




No comments:

Post a Comment