Monday, June 9, 2014

T Minus...

It has been a busy week, and the commencement was highlighted by a visit from some West Coasters. It was great to see you David and Amy!

Visitors from LA

Both my wallet and I are breathing a sigh of relief as the shopping spree is over. The movers have come and gone, and my apartment has been liberated of 30+ boxes of HHE (household effects) and two giant boxes of UAB (unaccompanied baggage), which was 60% wardrobe.

Not all of my HHE was deemed acceptable as you can see in the photo below. Aerosols, bleach, and batteries were pulled from my pack out as they are evidently on the prohibited list.


Rejected

In addition to saying au revoir to my HHE, I also said peace out to the Tacoma. Per the instructions of a wise man, who I like to call Dad, I stopped by a mechanic and had the battery checked. The mechanic also offered to check my alternator, and he gave me the green light on both. 

Everything seemed to go well with one little red flag. When transportation arrived to pick up the Tacoma, the driver saw that I had put the spare tire in the backseat (as advised by my paperwork), and said, "I hope it will still be there." When I asked what most people do with their spares, he said they leave them underneath the vehicle. Obviously, that was disconcerting, but I had neither the time, inclination, or brother-in-law (thanks Duke) available to put it back under the pick-up. It will be interesting to see if the spare is still in the cab when it arrives in Kinshasa. I'm going to put my chips on humanity and honesty for the win. We shall see.


Farewell Tacoma

The timeline for receiving my HHE, UAB, and POV (privately operated vehicle) is fluid to be sure. I've been asking everyone for their opinion...the movers, my sponsor in Kinshasa, my contact at the moving company. 

There seems to be a theme of "it depends" followed by the following range.

HHE (via ship)   2-3 months, 4-6 months or whenever it arrives

UAB (via air)      1-2 months or whenever it arrives

POV (via ship)   4-6 months or 6-8 months or whenever it arrives 

What I do know is that the box filled with Girl Scout cookies I sent via DPO (Diplomatic Post Office) just might make it there before I do!! I am so grateful for having a DPO at Post. I'm not going to lie, it wasn't cheap, but Girl Scout cookies bring happiness, and boost morale, and thus are essential to both my livelihood and job!

After handing over the keys to my pick-up and mailing myself some goodies, I went first to the Department of State and then to the Foreign Service Institute to wrap up some loose ends. I stopped to talk to two of my favorite instructors/coordinators to thank them for going above and beyond and really caring that their students are given the tools and information necessary to succeed in a wildly new environment. Sadly, it's not always the case. 

I have to say that there is a strange mood in my apartment. It's so empty without the tires, food, clothes, toiletries. It's back to the minimalist state of February when I first arrived. Does this mean I've come full circle at least for this first mini-chapter of my new journey

Oh, no, I'm starting to get reflective. I do believe that's the nerves starting to kick in. It was bound to happen! Less than two weeks to go.

Good thing I have crash/bang to take my mind off the fact that I'm moving to another country. I'm here now in the hotel I will call home for the next five days. I'll find out tomorrow morning in what order I will be driving, shooting, and bandaging fake wounds. Sounds like it should be an interesting week! I'll be sure to let you know.

Be well my friends. Until next time...




No comments:

Post a Comment