Sunday, June 22, 2014

Fare Thee Well Compatriots and Country

Unfortunately, this is what happens when I get behind on posting. I am going to do a brief rewind before I give you the details on Kinshasa and my journey here. (Also, I need a little more time to process the last 96 hours!)

Please bear with me while I get you up to date.

My last bit of training was incredibly educational. Most of it involved information and situational training that I hope I never have to use. Nonetheless, it's great knowledge and preparedness training.

The last couple of days before my departure were filled with "see ya laters" with a variety of classmates, instructors, and friends. All of my aurevoirs were wonderful reminders that good people come in such a wide variety of packaging, and I am really blessed to have crossed paths with so many of you.

As the countdown clock ticked off its final hours on Wednesday, I found myself feeling very calm. Weird, right? Knowing that I had a long 24 hours ahead of me, I woke early and went for a jog. I figured the exercise would benefit my body since I would be spending no less than 17 hours sitting on airplanes. I also hoped waking up early would encourage an early bedtime during my first flight. 

The entire morning I kept waiting for my nerves to kick in, but it wasn't until I had zipped up my last bag that I felt the first twinge of anxiety. Immediately, I unzipped one of my carry-on bags and took out a few items and set them on the counter. That's all it took for me to go back to feeling calm. 

After cramming the last few items into my checked bags and dropping both on my foot at least once, I decided I would weigh them to see just how poorly I had packed.

I weighed the smaller of the two bags first, and it was going to be close. The needle on the scale was wavering right around 50 lbs., which automatically confirmed that the other was overweight. The second bag weighed in at a hefty 59 lbs. (Come on people, I'm moving to another country!! You can only expect so much from me.)

There was nowhere to move that extra weight. Of the four bags (2 carry-on, 2 checked), there was no space anywhere. Each one was crammed to the gills with my belongings....okay, and snacks!

It wouldn't be me if I didn't leave a few minor details to the last minute.

  • Ran to the mall to get a non-TMobile sim card in order to unlock my cell phone for use on a local DRC carrier.
  • Called my credit card and informed them that I was leaving the country.
  • Asked for technology advice from one of my orientation classmates.
  • E-mailed my fabulous BOQ apartment contact to ask if he or anyone he knew wanted the food and condiments from my fridge and cupboards that were perfectly good for the taking. 

After the last minute tasks, I quickly repacked the items I had previously removed and lined up the four hefty bags in front of my door before I dashed out and headed to FSI for one last look at some of my favorite faces.


This is where I'm going to leave you until later today (tomorrow for most of you).

In preparation for my next entry, please feel free to take a look at the blog post I discovered when I was searching for N'Djili Airport, Kinshasa, DRC the night before I left.


http://www.hudin.com/blog/how_to_survive_ndjili_airport_in_kinshasa/

A bientôt... (see you soon)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you arrived safely! Thanks for the update. I smile as I can visualize the strain on the luggage zippers as you attempt to squeeze that one last item into the bag:0)
    I surely hope you didn't suffer to much hassle in making your way through the airport--the blog post did not make it sound as though it was a pleasant experience. Though in my opinion, I've rarely had an enjoyable experience in ANY airport, whether it was Dallas, MSP, Miami, Belize, or Curacoa. Airports are not meant to be enjoyable in my opinion.
    I got your text message yesterday--we were out on a 30 mile bike ride. I will be researching/installing the WhatsApp option later today and hope to send my first international text to you by the end of the day! Thanks for the belated birthday wishes--you didn't realize it, but the June 18th phone call from the airport was the best birthday gift I could have asked for!
    Take care!
    Keep the posts coming!
    c~

    ReplyDelete