Sunday, August 21, 2016

Mount Mangengenge

Are parents still using the phrase, "If your friends jumped off a ___________, then would you do it too?"

If you fill in that blank with mountain, I guess my response would be "yes."

Mount Mangengenge is located south of Kinshasa nearish N'Djili Airport. It's a slog to get through the KIN traffic but very much worth the drive. 

For me, it was an opportunity to see beautiful landscape not far from the hustle and bustle of the city; an opportunity to be outdoors and hike with friends; and, an opportunity to be grateful that I bought a 4x4 and brought it to Post.

Mount Mangengenge is also a pilgrimage site where people come to meditate and pray. There are stops along the way up the mountain that represent the stations of the cross, and there is a large cross erected atop the mountain.


Like most places in Kinshasa, there are no directions or signs posted to guide you to a location which always makes it interesting when the vehicle you're following turns somewhere you didn't realize was passible.

Turn here to go to Mt. Mangengenge?!

The sandy trail not only made for fun driving, it was also a good workout once we headed up the mountain on foot. As the path became steeper, it narrowed and the sand deepened.
Let the Hike Begin

Digging in to get up the mountain

Once at the top, we decided to check out the surrounding area. In addition to pilgrims praying and singing near the cross, we crossed paths with villagers who were eager to offer their services as tour guides. Although we refused the offer, they stayed close and attempted to lead us until we chose a location to sitdown and have a picnic while we enjoyed the beautiful view.


The Cross on the Mountaintop
The Village on the Mountaintop

The View from Our Picnic

The Ridge
Part Way to the Ridge's Edge
At the beginning of this post, I alluded to the fact that I jumped off a mountain; however, in order to be accurate, I should clarify that I actually repelled off the side of the mountain, and it was awesome!

Safety First, Double-Checking the Gear

Here Goes Nothing

Thank you Richard for being so generous with your gear and knowledge. 



4 comments: