Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Au Revoir 2015

May 2015

Whenever I venture outside of my neighborhood in Kinshasa, I experience the real city. The Road to Matadi never fails to show me something new. It leads to many places one of which is to the lovely faces of the children at Kimbondo Orphanage.


People and traffic navigate the post rain road


Truck full of plantains

Everyone is on the go
Kimbondo Hospital and Orphanage



The joy of bubbles

Affection is appreciated at Kimbondo Orphanage

Kids playing outside at the orphanage

It was my privelege to attend the union of my friends Chris and Abby in Tuscany, Italy. Little did I know 21 years ago when I met Chris in Abel Hall at the University of Nebraska that we would both end up in Los Angeles after college. It was there that he, and thus I, met the amazing Abby. Reflective of their relationship and personalities, the wedding was overflowing with love, beauty, and kindness.


The bride's father's sweet sincerity

Joyous laughter and tears thanks to the groom's father

The Villa: La Selva Giardino de Belvedere

Prior to arriving in Tuscany, I took a few days to decompress and drive from Milan to Torino and then down to the Chianti Hills. Despite driving in the tiny, little, micro-car shown below, it was a relaxing and beautiful trip. 


My Ride

Milan is a bustling city, and the Duomo is the main tourist attraction. I saw it from streetside as well as from the terraces, and it is an imposing structure. 

The Duomo

From a terrace of the Duomo

Torino was a quieter much smaller city. I enjoyed being the curious tourist, walking through the streets, and taking in the sounds and sites.



Gran Madre di Dio Cathedral

Victor Emmanuel I Bridge

View from my hotel room window

The Borgo di Fontebussi is a historic village turned resort located in the Chianti Hills overlooking the Tuscan landscape and near several villages that are in walking distance. 

The olive trees in front of the Fontebussi
View on the Road to Montegonzi (the village up the hill).

View of the Fontebussi from Montegonzi

Horses along a countryside road near Montegonzi

June 2015

After Italy, I headed to Ireland to pay an overdue visit to some good friends. I didn't realize how long it had been since I last saw them...until I saw their children. It seems that what I thought was several years was actually a tad longer. The baby who wasn't talking or walking was now an energetic 8-year-old full of personality, and the little boy who ran through the yard playing super hero was now an athletic and astute tween. Moral of that story: I am so old!

The overdue reunion was good for the heart. It's nice to know that despite the time passed we could pick up right where we left off. They are keepers for sure. 

September 2015

Rainy season returned when the first rainstorm arrived on September 19. It seems that this year is a truer rainy season than last year. It rains frequently during the night conveniently lightening up or stopping completely before I leave for work. 

September also brought a new travel opportunity. As my job doesn't normally present opportunities for travel, I'd mentioned to my boss repeatedly that I'd be happy to help with any projects or trips. I didn't want my two years in the DRC to come to a close without seeing more of the country than Kinshasa and the surrounding areas. As of early September, I can now say that I've been to the East.

I went to two cities, Goma and Bukavu (Boo-KAH-voo) and was quite surprised at the difference in atmosphere from Kinshasa. Both are significantly smaller than Kinshasa, and the daily life seems much calmer, which is ironic considering the frequency of violence that takes place not far outside or in these cities.

The mood of the cities seems lighter; the people are a bit more relaxed, and it's easier to get around. I noted that the motorcycle taxis have helmets for the driver and a spare for a passenger (helmets are unheard of in Kinshasa); the food is of a noticeably higher quality than in Kinshasa as well as being priced more reasonably.

While the business of my travels was interesting, the most amazing (and I do mean that in it's truest sense) part of my trip was seeing the gorillas at Kahuzi-Biega National Park outside of Bukavu.  


Park Ranger at Kahuzi-Biega National Park

Eucalyptus Trees 

Tea Fields around the Outside of the Forest

Hiking Through the Forest to the Gorillas

First Sighting


Gorilla Stoicism
Masks are required as gorillas are very susceptible to our germs

Silverback Looking over His Brood

Mom and Baby
There are several gorilla families in the park that are socialized, which means that they are relatively comfortable having people around them. The park rangers give you rules before you hike into the forest. No sudden movements, keep a distance of approximately six meters, which is often not the case as the gorillas go about their day and walk by or nearby whomever happens to be in the area; mind the Silverback, he's the boss; don't touch, don't feed, don't be stupid. I'm not sure that retelling any of the story can do it justice. It was an experience like no other. 

October 2015

Because Halloween isn't celebrated here in the DRC, we Trunk or Treat in a secure area for all of the Embassy kids. Gooey, partially melted candy for everyone!


Preparing for Halloween Trunk or Treat


Spider Attack
November 2015

The United States Marine Corps' birthday is November 10 and every November the Marines hold a Birthday Ball to celebrate the occasion.


Protectors of the Embassy

Ceremonial Cake Cutting
My Team

Sneaky Photographer

Security at Your Service

Thanksgiving -- I was thankful for a multitude of blessings. Living here is a constant reminder of how good I have it, and how grateful I should be and am.

I opted out of the traditional feast this year. Instead, delicious Thai food and relaxation.

December 2015

December 19 marked one and a half years in Kinshasa. It's hard for me to believe that it has gone so quickly. I am now counting down my last six months.

I celebrated at a Christmas Eve church service that was filled with the songs and message of Christmas including a candle lit recessional out into the courtyard while we sang, "Joy to the World." 

Christmas day started with a lazy morning and then rushed cooking for Christmas dinner. I baked cookies and brownies for dessert and roasted vegetables and made green bean casserole. One of my co-workers hosted and cooked a feast that included a turkey, a ham, and roast beef. It was a gluttonous and merry occasion.

Ham, Roast Beef, Turkey!!

Merry Christmas 

As the last few days of 2015 approach, I can say that I feel good about what I've accomplished and experienced. I am also looking forward to the new year which will bring many new adventures including my first visitors to Kinshasa, a trip home, and then a move to Nairobi, Kenya. 

I hope that you have all found some joy and peace during the holiday season and are looking forward to the future.

A toast to you, friends, family, and acquaintances: To a healthy, happy, and bountiful 2016. Happy New Year!





2 comments:

  1. Hey Stranger!!! I've got to admit that I'm a little jealous seeing your pictures and everything you have gotten to experience. No posts this year...what are you up to? Do you have a new assignment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara! Haven't seen a post in a long time. Where are you now?

    ReplyDelete