Sunday, July 20, 2014

Settling In

It's hard to believe that I'd officially been in Kinshasa for ONE MONTH on Thursday evening. I feel like time is passing at warp speed. As more new arrivals appear at the Embassy, I already feel like I have amassed a certain amount of wisdom that I can share with them.

Last week also included an incredible surprise -- my HHE was delivered! My HHE (household effects) was split into two shipments, and the first of them that included all of my belongings from my apartment in Los Angeles was delivered on Wednesday just one day prior to the three week mark since my arrival.




I am currently living among a sea of glorious boxes and packing paper and am in the process of finding a home for everything.

It is shocking how joyous and simultaneously perplexing it is to open boxes full of belongings. In a matter of months, I had forgotten how much superfluous stuff I own, even after I donated a significant amount to charity before I left Los Angeles. This is a good learning lesson for my next assignment. There's no need to ship everything I own across the world, and honestly, this new lifestyle gives me a whole new perspective on how much stuff is really necessary in my life. It's much less than I once thought. 

There are a variety of happenings that have taken place since my last blog post. Monday, June 30 was Congolese Independence Day. There was a military parade in Kinshasa which I did not witness because I opted to go on a group trip to a sand bar in the middle of the Congo River where we BBQ'd, played games, swam (I only waded), and then packed up a few hours into our outting at the behest of the Congolese military. They were clearing all of the beaches as a heightened security measure because of the holiday and parade in the city.

Yes, it is a disconcerting feeling to see a military boat with a gun on the front and several fatigue-clad men approaching. Thankfully, everyone was civil, the military didn't make us pack up immediately, and we safely made it back to Kinshasa Yacht Club.


Congolese Military Boat

Our Sweet Ride

People Living Alongside the Congo River

Congo River Living
"Yacht Club" of Kinshasa



"Everything Comes with Time"
The week of the Fourth of July was also a bit chaotic due to the SLOTUS (Second Lady of the United States) visit.

One of us is Dr. Jill Biden (SLOTUS)
Did everyone go World Cup crazy back in the States? I've watched more soccer in the last month than I have in my lifetime. I've watched at bars, at restaurants, at co-worker's homes, and at the Germany Embassy. 

I live a bit of a sheltered life in a neighborhood called Gombe (Gome-bay). It's filled with ex-pats, gated housing, and amenities that are not at all reflective of the real Congo or Kinshasa experience. For that reason, whenever possible I jump at the opportunity to get outside of the city or participate in activities that give me a glimpse of what Congolese every day life looks like. That glimpse is often sobering and eye-opening.

Two Sundays ago, I went to an orphanage with my co-worker. She warned me that we would likely not stay much longer than an hour because it could be a very overwhelming experience. Her assessment was correct; however, I was surprised by the duality of my reaction. I was overcome by the incredible number of orphans and the sparse number of people cooking, cleaning, and caring for them and simultaneously amazed by those people dedicating their lives to protecting these innocent children.

My senses were overwhelmed by the smell, conditions, and the children's sheer need for attention. The children were desperate for any kind of affection. They would hold on to my legs, grab my hands, hug me, reach out for me to pick them up...all of them at the same time.

We opened a door to a room, and there must have been 15-20 toddlers in cribs who immediately stood up started talking in what I assume was Lingala and reached their hands out to us. It is difficult to describe the experience because it was such a profoundly personal and emotional reaction to something I had never before experienced.

I didn't cry which I thought might happen either at the orphanage, or when we left. Instead, I felt thankful for those few dedicated people who despite little or no pay and less than ideal conditions, find the energy, motivation, and copious amounts of love to provide for these helpless children.

After holding, hugging, and doting on as many children as we could, we bid the orphanage adieu, and I left with a heavy heart. It was yet another experience that illuminated just how blessed my life has been and continues to be.

Last Sunday a co-worker invited me along on an afternoon trip to a Lake that was about an hour away. Traveling anywhere is always a mini-adventure. I always have my camera, but it seems that I tend to miss the good stuff. However, I have a mental list of regular sightings that are staples of my Kinshasa experience thus far. Be patient with me. It's only a matter of time until I digitally record them and post them here.

Lac de Ma Vallee
The lake had a nice trail around it that was supposedly 6 km, but I feel confident that it was more like 4 km. On one side of the lake is an open air restaurant where you can order your food before you take your hike around the lake, and when you return, ideally, your food should be ready. For those of you familiar with Africa time, it's no joke. Everything takes longer here. It's just a cultural thing. Things are done differently here, and time is not of the essence. After a lovely stroll, we sat down to a delicious meal of grilled chicken, pondu (some type of cooked greens) biteku teku (spinach), the ubiquitous pili pili sauce (hot pepper sauce that people put on everything) and several sides that remain nameless to me.

Outdoor Dining at Lac De Ma Vallee
We took in our peaceful and beautiful surroundings as we dined and enjoyed the good food and company. It wasn't until we paid that we incurred a problem with an unacceptably worn $20 bill. The Congolese are very particular about the condition of American currency. Both Congolese francs and American dollars are acceptable forms of payment (except for the $1 bill...don't ask...I don't know). However, American bills are expected to be in pristine condition. No tiny tears, no worn out/thin bills, no creases in the middle (do not fold your money in your wallet) and don't even think about the old bills that haven't been updated with the bigger Presidential graphic. Lincoln's, Franklin's, Jackson's, and Grant's big heads are of great importance here in Kinshasa. In the end, we put our foot down (well, my co-worker's boyfriend put his foot down), and left them with no other option than keeping the $20 bill.

I may have had the coolest work day activity thus far in my Foreign Service career on Friday. We had a drill at the Embassy, and I was given a bullet proof vest that said Federal Agent on the front and Police on the back, and I drove people from pretend danger to pretend safety in an armored vehicle. My job is so cool, and in my whole-heartedly biased opinion, the Marines and the RSO shop are super hero ninja badasses!!!!!! 

On that note, I wish you a good day and a relaxing weekend. It is officially Sunday here, and it is passed my bedtime.

2 comments:

  1. Tara, this is sounding like an incredible adventure. Please keep posting so I can vicariously live abroad through your words and pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I read the whole thing, but you do know what I got out of this post right. Was I right or was I wrong about the amount of stuff you shipped?!?! Hahaha

    ReplyDelete